CHARLES LOMINOQUE

GANDARA SAMAR

Officially the Municipality of Gandara, is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Samar, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 34,434 people. The town was formerly named Bangahon, but its population was resettled to its current location on September 29, 1902. After settling in its new location, the name Gandara was given to it in commemoration of the former Governor General José de la Gándara

HISTORY

On the 13th century an Arabian-British explorer built and structured this sea farer guide from an Scree with the help of a Negrito inhabitants located nearby with China White as an ingredient as building material, it is lit with a Western Incandescent lamp and powered by a Baghdad Carbon Cell, the said battery is charged by sun at day. Gandæra's colonial past is evident from the solitary watchtower, the Friars returned after the remaining crew of Magellan came back from Spain, and situated along the Village called Dapdap and their Shrine called Tinago in 1596, and created a Cabecera called Catbalogan, and the Bangahon Church, the relics of the church and fragmented artworks. Statues of saints are of numbers one of which is the St. Niño (An infant Child) a White statue carved from wood and being tell that it is a pair of the Black statue of the St. Niño of Cebu the Magellan remnants they called the Black and White saints. The White statue is being told that a clan "Correche" is now being held it privately. Townspeople quarried the stones from Napalisan cliff or scree carried to Dapdap and then formed and constructed the Tinago Shrine and the church from what they called Galut a clay or Feldspar, Kaolinite used to make a pot or in a pottery business in Bangahon for the church of Bangahon. These are remnants from the old Gandæra, named Bangahon due to its geographical location in the forked of the Gandara River. "Ginbabanga han wala ug tuo nga salog". The book Conquistas de las Islas Filipinas by Gaspar de San Agustin the Bangahon states it was already a Pueblo or town in 1729, and was made a parish by the Spanish Jesuits Missionaries with St. Michael the Archangel as patron saint

KARABAW FESTIVAL

A festival which pay tribute to the draft animal that helps people till their farms and provides milk for Gandara’s local white cheese delicacy called “Keseo”. The festival itself proved a lot already in terms of creativity and uniqueness. In fact, This festival has won 7 times already in Samar Day Celebration every August 11 where all municipalities in Samar gathered in Catbalogan City and compete. Alongside with them are Alimango Festival of Sta. Margarita, Mayaw-mayaw of Pinabacdao, Noos of Marabut and etc. As a Gandaranhon I am proud to say that our festival is the only undefeated one in the whole Samar Region

KESEO

The town of Gandara in Samar is promoting its cheese delicacy called "keseo" as one of its tourism and livelihood assets. The product was developed when the Department of Agriculture decided to form the Gandara Keseo Producers Association (GKPA) whose aim is to make the native delicacy out of carabao’s (water buffalo) milk.

TINAPA

Sample its local tinapa or smoked fish. The secret to their tinapa is in its freshness, having come from the daily catch from the Samar seas. Most shops and markets in Gandara Samar also offer vacuum-packed tinapa, which is best-brought home as pasalubong.